The #1 takeaway is that the best way to grow your understanding of Reiki is to experience it directly.
Depending on who’s asking, my answer to this question can vary greatly because it’s important to meet each person right where they are- direct experience is still the best teacher yet! Reiki journeys unfold uniquely for each individual in accordance with what serves their greatest good. The benefits of this practice manifest differently for everyone, though there are common threads which apply to most Reiki experiences, (e.g. feeling relaxed, or drowsy, trancelike, with bodily sensations of tingling, heat, or pulsing, etc. For more information, read my post on What to Expect from a Reiki Session with Veela.)
- Reiki is a Japanese healing technique for soothing & relaxation which can be performed hands-on over clothing, or just as effectively from a distance.
- Reiki can do no harm & can be safely paired with all medical interventions to improve outcomes such as healing from surgery or injury. Some people turn to Reiki for management of chronic or terminal illness symptoms, pain relief, insomnia, nausea, anxiety, and depression, support with heart disease, palliative care, and more.
- Reiki infuses energy into the biofield of the recipient. This activates the recipient’s parasympathetic nervous system, which facilitates deep tranquility & comfort, & triggers the body’s natural ability to rebalance & heal itself. So often, we are operating in a consistent fight-or-flight state of cumulative stress which does not allow the body time to rest, rejuvenate, or repair. Reiki can help the body maintain health & offset the stresses of life.
- Reiki delivers additional life force energy via the practitioner’s hands, and through the chakras, or energy centers of the body, which correspond to the glands of the endocrine system. (Life force energy is present in living bodies; it includes the electrical impulses which drive the heartbeat and activate the firing of neurons.) The innate wisdom of the body directs the extra energy to wherever it is most needed.
- Reiki is a spiritual (but non-religious) practice which can empower self-healing, growth, & connectedness, as well as pave a path to spiritual awakening, and manifestation of personal gifts & purpose. Reiki is compatible with any & all spiritual & religious belief systems.
- Absolutely everyone can learn to practice Reiki, but the training must come from a Reiki Master Teacher who is equipped to provide an energetic initiation to the frequencies. While many concepts of Reiki could theoretically be learned from a book, the “attunement” or “placement” process is crucial to the student’s ability to channel Reiki energies.